Monday, February 19, 2007

Monday Morning

I hope everyone had a great weekend! I worked all day Saturday seeing patients. I loved every minute of it. I got up about 6am to see the AM diabetics. These are easy visits. The pts. I saw, two of them anyways, live in the same assisted living facility. The hardest part is getting someone to open the door for you that early. Why old folks have to get up so dang early I will never know.One of the patients is a little old man who is a retired pharmacist. Mac we call him. He uses a scooter to get around and once I was done with him he took off to his place at the breakfast table. Next I was up to see the Emogene. She likes to sleep in, by that I mean I woke her up at 6:30 AM. She is a sweetheart who loves to play dominoes even though she is blind in one eye and can't see out the other! She was snuggled in her bed and I was sorely tempted to say shove over and let me in! I left there and headed to Hilda's house (another diabetic) she lives with her grand daughter who gets her up every morning and gets her breakfast ready for her. We provide her with insulin injections becasuse the grand daughter cannot stand the sight of blood. She lives in a house that was built in the 50's and has that great architecture of that era. She has a hefty collection of plates on the wall. I love to go and look at them all. She offered me some coffee and a muffin. I sat and visited with them for a while before I scooted down the road to see Ms. Marie. She is a little lady who lives in another assisted living facility but not a diabetic. She gets an injection of a medication that is for osteoporosis. These old folks snap like twigs when they hit the floor. One good thing about being a big girl all my life is that my bones are dense and can take a bump or 2 before cracking. She has a patio that looks out on a green belt and we sat out there and looked at the deer that come up to feed at her little makeshift feeder for them. They are majestic.Also saw some cardinals! Of course there were lots of squirrels. She loves them and they will eat out of her hand! The weather was just gorgeous! I next went out to the country to see a guy who has a nasty wound on his leg. He cut it on some barbed wire while getting one of his calves out from under some brush/downed fence. He is a big old cowboy who lives with his little wife who is always in the kitchen cooking up something or other. That day she was cooking a chicken spaghetti dinner to take to church that evening. She also makes quilts and we sat and she showed me the latest one she was working on. They have no children. They did have a son who was killed in Viet Nam. I think there is a nephew or niece somewhere in the background. The city of Austin has decided to claim imminent domain and they want the land they live on for a highway. They have had this property in their family for 6 generations. It is sad because the city will take their land and someday they will die and then it will all be lost. I don't think the nephew is interested in inheriting anything from them.
After that I was through for a while so I went to a few garage sales since it was only 10 am and I was up! No good finds though. I finished off the day by going back to see the diabetics for their dinnertime injections. Sunday I met up with Jan and we had breakfast tacos and went to Penney's where I got a new purse. Her birthday if today and she has the whole week off. I am hoping she will go with us to see Chris this weekend. Okay enough blabbering about nothing at all. Got to get back to work.

--------------------oOo--------------------

6 Comments:

Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Ohh your weekend sounds good visiting all sorts of interesting people like you did!
I'm considering buying a purse. I just bring my wallet out with me but the thought of a pretty bag is appealing for some reason now.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

I loved it when I dod community nursing and we went to visit the diabetic patients first, get their showers done and off we went.
The first man we visited was a blind man, I couldn't believe what happened, I never told anyone this b4, I actually bumped into him, and he says. "Hey, who IS the blind one here, LOL"... we laughed, I dodn't know he was blind at the time..the other nurse failed to tell me.
Oh, garage sales are awesome,.I am thinking of having one here...well, it is my 7 year old son's idea to make money anyhow.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

I love old people, they have so much to share with us, I love hearing their stories. Sometimes they will call at work and I get impatient though beacuse I think they are lonely and just want to talk but at work I dont have the time to chat much.

Sounds like a much better day than listening to the talker LOL

I enjoyed chatting last night!

2:39 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Finding people fascinating is its own reward. You are lucky to have that ability. Many people don't.

I hope you have a great week.

5:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mary,

Just left you a voicemail message on your phone. It's apparently 11:21AM at your place, 4:21 in the AM over here. So errr, hi!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Rhea said...

Garage sales in February? Oh, I forgot. Some people live in nicer climates than the one we have in Boston...
Rhea
The Boomer Chronicles
www.thegeminiweb.com

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Yahoo! Avatars