Monday, February 12, 2007

Blast from the Past

I had a dream last night about something that happened to me a long time ago. I was about 13-14 yrs old.I was spending the night with my friend Connie whose mom worked night shift and we were left unsupervised. We went out one night with Bill Burdine(I had a crush on him) and his brother Joe and another guy named Yankee. We loaded up in the Vista cruiser and headed to the lake. They were going frog gigging. I had never done this before but the object is to take a burlap sack and a flashlight. 2 people go to one side of the bog and 2 more go to the other side with gigs. They run the frogs toward you with the gigs and you try to catch them in your bag. I was trying to catch those toads and stay out of the mud as much as possible when I tripped over what I thought at first was a log. It was stinky and fetid smelling like a bog is. I had my flashlight in my hand but when I stumbled it went flying. I picked myself off and turned around to get my light at the same time trying to hold my frogs in the sack. I picked it up and turned to flash it over the log I had tripped over so as not to re-trip over it. I looked down at the same time I was jumping over it and saw that it was not a log but a half sunk dead body. Well, the side of what looked like a arm and hip of a person in clothes that were tattered and torn. I took one look at that thing and dropped my bag of frogs and took off back to the station wagon screaming bloody murder the whole way. Once there I locked myself in the car and refused to let anyone in for a while. Back then, there was no cell phones so once they had talked me into letting them in the car we took off to find the nearest constable. Remember it is dark thirty and we are out in the boonies. We try to find someone to tell this to but end up riding all the way back to town and going to the jailhouse where there were a few deputy sheriff cars sitting around. First off, when they saw us coming in I guess we were a mess because they wanted to know right away where we had been and if we were alright. They called all the parents to come to the jailhouse which now when I think about it must have freaked them all out! I told my story and the boys we were with went back out with the deputies to find the body. They had run back down there once I told them to see it themselves before I let them back in the car. Now and again I have a dream about that night. It is always the same dream too. I am out there with my gunny sack and the frogs are croaking loud to beat the band, I trip over the log and look back to get up and put my hand on the body! I always wake up in a sweat! The dead guy was a fisherman who had gone missing a few months back and they had never found him. He had fallen overboard and drowned.I have this dream every so often and I wonder what sets it in motion. I wasn't upset about anything. Didn't watch any weird TV before bed or eat anything strange before going to bed. I will self medicate before going to bed tonight. I know I have Ambien somewhere in my cabinet of goodies.

--------------------oOo--------------------

6 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

Sweet dreams! :)

7:02 PM  
Blogger Jail Byrde said...

Wow, Poody ... I lulled myself into the false sense of security that the first part of that post was the dream.

So, if I'm right, the difference between what really happened to you and your dream is that when you realise there's a body there, you actually touch it?

If so, here's what I think...

You say, "I looked down at the same time I was jumping over it and saw that it was not a log but a half sunk dead body. Well, the side of what looked like a arm and hip of a person in clothes that were tattered and torn."

You qualify your statement with "what looked like". That's crucial, here. In the same way that people who see ghosts always wonder if they really saw a ghost, you always wonder if you REALLY did see that body. And, by the facts I understand, everything points to the fact that you did see a dead body. But, to stay on this side of sane, at the time your psyche truly didn't let you believe that you saw what you saw.

Even if on paper, in black and white, you know you did - your spirit doesn't want to believe it.

I think your dreams, like so many of ours, are due to "unfinished business". Your brain and psyche aren't connecting and it's still bothering you.

Anything could be setting this off. When I was studying Interior Design, we were taught that colours play big roles with our emotions. And even if a kitchen would look bloody fabulous with Apple Green paint as a feature wall, if you had a teacher (for example) in grade school whom you couldn't stand - and who also often wore an Apple Green skirt - doesn't matter how nice your kitchen would be with that feature wall, that colour is not welcome in your home.

All that to say that it's very easy to dismiss your dreams as relating to something you saw on TV, or something you did that day (which are often valid reasons for some PARTS of the dream), there is something so much less obvious triggering you.

Like my dear cat Doris' constant allergy to "something", we may never know what is triggering it. So when one door closes, you can get in through a window. Can you try to maybe bring your brain and psyche together on this one?

Maybe visit the grave. Maybe go to the library and read the micro-fiches of the news of him missing and eventually found dead. Maybe, if this happened, see your name or your story in print.

If possible, you could even try going back to that spot, and going through the area to find it clear now. No logs that look if they have ripped shirts. No rocks that look like someone's hip.

And if you see another body there, drink yourself stupid.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Glenda said...

Wow..that's a dream for you. And a hell of a thing to see at such a young age. I'm with you on the self medicating!! Hope you sleep well tonight!

10:06 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

OMG poody how horrible! I would still be dreaming about that too! Hope you had better dreams last night!

3:19 AM  
Blogger poody said...

Oh it was a dead body alright but after seeing it that night I never saw it again except in my dreams. Probably triggered by the fact that I had to go back to the "W". LOL That is trauma enough! Oh if you are a Interior Designer I am so picking your brain JB!A ghost however I have only seen once and that wqas an old Japanese lady when I lived in Hawaii. Now, I am sure there are more of them out there but I just do not see them!

7:05 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

That would creep me out at any age.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Yahoo! Avatars