Thursday, June 21, 2007

AM Radio


I grew up in the 60's and 70's. Back then, we had transistor radios. This was before boom boxes and CDs. Heck, it was before cassette tapes even!I grew up in a small north east Texas town and the radio stations I listened to were KLIF in Dallas and late at night WLS out of Chicago.I would listen to the radio all night long. You would have to listen to a lot of crappy songs to be able to hear your favorite songs. The other day I was listening to an oldies station and I was singing along to songs like "Love will keep us together" and "Rock me baby". I know the words to both songs. I know that back in the day I didn't like "The Captain and Teniele" but I know the words because I have heard them so many times. Back then, on the AM radio, you could hear your favorite songs maybe 10-20 times a day. But you could also hear all the suck-ass songs that much too.They would count down the top 40 every weekend with Casey Kasem.Some songs I hear and, of course, they are familiar because they are still getting played, but some of them I haven't heard in a long time. Like "Cherokee "" by Paul Revere and the raiders. I had such a crush on Mark Lindsey!Today, we have FM radio,Ipods,Mp3 players,walkmans,discmans, and CD players. I haven't seen a turntable in I don't know how long! I love it that music has evolved so much.I mean the sound is much better and the way we can listen to only the music we like. No more sitting through the lame songs to hear your favorite song. If you wanted to, you could program your machine to only play one song over and over again! Gone are the days of listening to the radio fading in and out.No more sappy commercials for the local Dairy Queen or Piggly Wiggly. But, sometimes, when I am going home from a crazy day at work, I turn on the oldies station and listen to those old songs and sing along. Yep, I can sing along to "Penny Lane" and "Mony, Mony" all the way home!

--------------------oOo--------------------

10 Comments:

Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Aww I know just what you mean!
I love those songs!
We sing along with them on the satalite radio on our road trips.
Run Around Sue..I love that song!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Luv the oldies! Hiya Mary!!
xoxo

3:34 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

People still listen to the radio?
;)

9:08 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

I remember all the oldies, I am an oldie LOL.

2:31 AM  
Blogger magiceye said...

lovely post indeed! yes technology sure has freed us from tyrannical djs! also has given us options only dreamed of before!

4:54 AM  
Blogger S* said...

I love the song Cherokee. Probably cuz my grandma was half Cherokee. I'm sad that our local oldies station was replaced by some stupid JackFM station.

They took the whole Cherokee nation....

I'm going to have it stuck in my head now!

8:06 AM  
Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

I was not fortunate enough to be around in the 60's (Was still swinging then) but I love all the oldies! The everly brothers, billy Idol, The Carpenters, oh man those were and still are great songs!!!! and I love listening to the radio too!!!! although I am one of those that will program the cd player to play a song over and over and over and over again!!!

Have a great weekend!!!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Crushed said...

I rarely listen to the radio, but if I do, It's Heart FM a station which plays a lot of eighties stuff.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Dejavu here!! I just commented somewhere else about the CD's and DVD's not lasting as long as the records and VCR tapes I have here. I love playing music and last night I listened to manya great tune on record at my mums, we all danced and had a great time :)

3:50 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Oh, those were the days, Poody!

Turntables have made a bit of a comeback here in Oz as people yearn to play their old vinyl! You can but them again!

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Yahoo! Avatars