Friday, December 15, 2006

Bummed out Again

well, I got my yearly evaluation that was due in August today. Seems I have a problem with communication. They tell me I need to work on my communication skills. I was told I am mean MN. I guess she has been telling them that I treat her like I don't like her. Nothing overt just my body language and demeaner. Appears that you can actually base an evaluation on one's subjective assessment as opposed to the body of work I perform. My clinical skills,judgement,critical pathways,and triage is excellent but I need to be nicer and not condescend to people. It is not in my nature to be phoney. I can't not like you and act like I do.And I am so not into slackers. If you are a dumb ass then yeah, I guess I don't have time for you. I believe people will rise to your expectations. But, apparently, I am told not to have expectations of anyone. It is not my job to have expectations of the staff. I am clinical and as such will stick to the clinical aspect of the job even though I am asked to perform non clinical jobs like billing,referrals,inservices,case conferences, and troubleshooting. But I am told that if a staff member is not performing as per guidelines of the company I am to report this to my DON. In other words they are telling me to be a jack of all trades so to speak, snitch out people, take flak from idiot refferal managers, and all the while look like I am happy doing it. Yeah, I didn't make enough money before this and now with no raise because I don't meet their expectations and now I am gonna be happy doing more for even less. Man, this so sucks. My boss is going on vacation starting today and won't be back until Jan 4th. I am here for the entire Christmas Holidays. I had already decided I would stay home because there would be no admin. back up for the on-call nurse so it is no real surprise. I was told that my job performance needs to improve by March or I will be replaced. This job is so not worth it. I miss being in the field. I am going to really think this over. I am not making as much money as the field staff,my hours are longer, and the expectations are that I do whatever it takes to make everyone happy. Me, not so much. I know I am a good nurse. I went to nursing school people not charm school. The problem is I may be a good clinical nurse but when you have been a nurse as long as me they want you to be in a supervisory role and I could care less about all that. I am happiest when I am doing plain old fashioned patient care. I mean, if you had a dumb ass working with you, how would you handle it?

--------------------oOo--------------------

5 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

I know you are good at what you do, and it must really suck to not be appreciated for it. I wish I had a good answer for you. Whatever you end up doing, try not to let this get you down. Keep the faith.

7:16 PM  
Blogger S* said...

Sorry the higher-ups don't see you for the good that you do. Maybe you really should think about going back into the field...especially if that will make you happier (and make you more money).

8:57 AM  
Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Aw Poody - that just stinks!!! It is such a pitty that the people that should see it = DONT!!!!

You must have a wonderful Christmas!!! Take Care

10:20 AM  
Blogger Bo... said...

That does stink. Sounds like the road nurse company that I used to work for. They always gave everybody bad evals, really nit-picky stuff, because they wanted to have an excuse to NOT have to give raises. They even counted excused absences for Dr.'s appointments against you.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

I dont get it Poody, I know you are good at your job! Sounds like when my evil boss from Hell had control over my life. I hate it for you! Working for a living sucks!

2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Yahoo! Avatars