Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Kids and Dogs

My dear friend Lewis, who almost died 2 years ago from the AIDS is doing so much better now I thank God every day. Anyways, he has a little brown and white speckled weenie(he looks like a cow) named Mork. Anyways, they live in an apartment. Lewis had told me about a month ago that Mork was not happy living alone and being alone in the apartment 12-14 hours a day and was actually becoming destructive in his demeanor. He chewed a hole through the wall of the kitchen! He was very upset and said he had to give him up. He asked me to take him. He is 10 months old and is Dooley's half brother in fact. So, of course, I said yes!

He brought him over to the house Saturday was a week ago now. He is a sweet loving little guy and very smart too. He is house trained and loves to cuddle. He and Dooley get along like a house afire. Except that he is not "fixed" and wants to hump Dooley like nonstop! Dooley, of course, does not like any of that and so they fight. Mork is the dominant one so poor Dooley gets beat up a lot. I thought this would settle down after a period of adjustment and I even made an appointment with the vet to get Mork neutered after Thanksgiving.

Sunday morning everything changed. Dooley and Mork were rough housing as always when I heard this blood curdling scream. It was Dooley and Mork had gotten ahold of his little nose and bit down. Now Dooley has 4 deep gashes in his nose and hunk out of the tip of it where Mork bit him. Poor Dooley! Well, now I start looking at poor Dooley and he is tore up from the floor up. He has scrapes and scratches all over his little weenie body! I felt so bad for him!

I thought about it all night and cried myself to sleep. When I woke up the next morning I had made the decision that Mork had to go. I love him really I do but Dooley is my main man and he is suffering too much from this. I told Lewis it was not working out and that he would need to take him back. I thought he would be like all -oh I miss him and wanted him back anyways but it was more like-great well maybe I can sell him and get some of my money back that I have put out on him!

Well, that upset me to no end! Having been a person who was unwanted and unloved I would never wish that on anyone or thing for that matter. So, I called all my friends to see if someone wanted Mork. I called all my relatives too. Everyone was sympathetic but no takers. I called my friend Nancy who raises weenies and was who Lewis got Mork from to see if she had any ideas.

She called me back and said she had another nurse friend who lives outside of San Antonio who wanted him. I talked with the lady,Cindy is her name last night and emailed her pictures of him. She also has one of his sisters . She and her husband raise them and she told me her children are all grown and the dogs are now the kids in the house. She said she just built a new kennel but that since he is house trained he will probably stay in the house with them! Yea, Mork!

So, she wanted to come and get him last night but we settled on this evening. Her and her husband will drive up from SA to get him. My cousin gets home before me so he will probably be gone when I get home! I am sad to see him go but glad he will be able to hump away and make some babies even!

But, here is the thing... I told Lewis I was giving him to a relative. I don't know why I just did. I mean, really he is my dog now so I can do what ever but I feel like if he knew he went to this lady he would want money for him and I am just happy to place him with a loving family. Am I wrong??

On the kid front, my friend and co-worker, Adrian, owner of the original weenie, Akasha, the red weenie, is a foster parent. He and his partner Patrick, and their roomie, Dwayne have had a little boy Caden, who is now 7 months old. He is so sweet and they are such good parents.

Anyways, yesterday Adrian says I have a surprise for you and he brings this precious little 3 year old girl into my office. She is adorable. She has big blue eyes and blond hair and was dressed so cute! She is shy and at first didn't want to have anything to do with me.

But, I have a goody drawer in my office full of toys for girls and boys. Mostly junk from the $ store but I have learned that with kids it is quantity not quality they enjoy. So after a little coaxing she finally went to the drawer and picked out something. I got a hug out of it.

When I went to hug her I noticed she has bruises on the backs of both arms. Faint old bruises. I said as much to Adrian. He said to me" those are not the worst bruises". Apparently, she has been abused both physically and sexually by her father.

In fact, she has 2 brothers, one 5 and the other 2 months. The 5 year old is living with another foster family about 5 miles ways from Adrian and so he has set it up so that they will both go to the same day care every day so they can see one another at least. The 2 month old will come to live with Adrian after he gets out of the hospital. Yep, he is there with a skull fracture and I think he said a fractured leg as well.I about cried my eyes out after they left my office!

He told me she flinches whenever he moves, like to put his arm around her or even on the back of the couch if they are sitting there watching TV. She is so used to being hit for no reason I guess. He had trouble bathing her as well and said she finally let him bathe her after sitting her down and telling her she was safe in his house.

He told her that in his house no one ever hits anyone else ever for any reason at all.If she misbehaves she will sit in time out and he showed her the chair for this. He told her time out is 3 minutes and quiet time. He also told her that he would never try to do anything to her so when he bathes her he doing just that, bathing nothing more. She is warming up to him and this is good considering she came to him last Saturday night after midnight.

What a great person he is. So full of love and ready to help out when ever needed. I have really come to respect him. I am so in love with this little girl too. I cannot wait till Christmas! I am so buying her all the princess stuff I can find.

She was in here in my office this morning and she was playing with this little snow globe I have with Cinderella in it. Her eyes were so wide and she looked at me and said she loved Cinderella! Me too! I am so spending Christmas day at their house. I already invited myself! HAHA! I just got to get past wanting to cry every time I see her!

--------------------oOo--------------------

6 Comments:

Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Awwww! She sounds just darling and I've got tears in my eyes just thinking about the abuse she and her siblings have suffered:(
Adrian is a good man.

I think you did the right thing with the doggie,on all fronts.
It broke my heart to hear your friend's response too.
Here's to Mork being happy and healthy in his new home!

9:47 AM  
Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Awwww Poody that is so sad to hear that there are people out there that can harm and abuse small children!!!! But equally it is nice to hear that there are people out there like your friend Adrian that will take littel people in that have been mis-treated!!!!!! My heart goes out to that little girl, god knows there are so many abused and unwanted children in our country too!!!

I have been so out of touch but I am back now!!!

Take Care

Gen

10:56 AM  
Blogger Mel said...

I had to make a difficult like decision like that too with a foster dog we had. WE were going to adopt her, were in love with her but the longer she was with us the more agressive she got and the day she had Raven by the throat I knew she had to go. IT was hard but its for the best in your situation!

Why do people have kids if they just abuse them?? Those people are SICK. I hope her dad is doing time for what he has done to her.

6:18 PM  
Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Hi Poods! Thanks for stopping by and no I never did receive that book - When did you send it?

1:41 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

That is so sad on all counts. I hope your dog heals up ok, and I hope the little girl does too.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Crushed said...

It sounds like the girls father should have been neutered, not poor Mork.

Though two male dogs together can just be impossible.

Get well soon Dooley!

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Yahoo! Avatars