Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Acroos The Universe

I saw this movie last night and it was incredible!It is a musical with all Beatles songs.I loved the cast too. The lead guy was an Englishman that was way cute too! Bono and Joe Cocker along with Eddy Izzard were in there as well. I want to see it again in fact.

I was 10 years old in 1967 and so I remember the Vietnam war vividly. We watched the war every evening while eating dinner. I remember being in the 10th grade when they started bringing the guys back home. I had a POW bracelet that I wore for 3 years. My friend Connie and I both had one. Her POW came home and years later we found him adn she gave the bracelet to him. he was very sedate and I remember her being a little dissappointed thinking he should have been more friendly. I guess looking back he was just fucked up in the head like most everyone who came back from over there. My POW never returned. I still have the bracelet and I looked for his name on the Vietnam memorial wall but he wasn't there either. James Elmo Powell.

Anyways, the movie is set in the late 60's early 70's era. I love the look of that time. I was so enamoured by the whole hippie movement. For those of you who are too young to remember those days.It was something else I tell ya. See back then, we had the draft and no one was exempt that I knew. Plus, if you got busted with weed back then you had 2 choices, go to jail for life or go to Vietnam.The war dragged on for what seemed ever. The turning of tide to renounce the war and get of Vietnam was done by the youth of America. I am talking about the hippies. The young kids and college students of the day made so much noise and would not back down even in the face of violence from our own militia they stood firm and protested the war. In fact, in Ohio the National Guard killed several students who were peacefully demonstrating the war. Yes, right here in our own country. There was much unrest in the entire nation.

Thinking about it I feel that is is once again time for the youth of the country to stand up and show this country that the war is wrong and we need to stop NOW !But, somehow, I feel that they are too busy with their IPODS, cell phones, and virtual realities to make a difference like we did so many years ago. But then again, I could be wrong. Prove me wrong!

--------------------oOo--------------------

5 Comments:

Blogger Mz.Elle said...

Yeah..I agree with ya.
Kids these days,huh?

9:23 AM  
Blogger Crushed said...

I wish I had been alive then, I think I'd have fitted in.

I tell you a film I love- Easy Rider.

Vietnam was a turning point in America- the first time Americans really questioned American values. I guess its part of all culture's learing experiences.

I guess we'd had it long before, with the Empire.

2:23 PM  
Blogger TORUŃ DAILY PHOTO said...

I've heard good things about this movie. Shame it's only on a limited release. Will have to check it out once its on DVD. Thanks for visiting TORUŃ DAILY PHOTO...do come again sometime!

12:19 AM  
Blogger Cazzie!!! said...

Agreed, and you know what, they now use Virtual Reality to train some of the forces in certain manouvres..scary shit eh?

2:00 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Yessum. And the music is great. And my 18 yr old daughter agrees.

What was the name of the movie, Poody?

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Yahoo! Avatars